2 min read
Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns with a Nuzest twist - Clean Lean Protein! A perfect recipe for Easter weekend!
- 2 x 7g sachets fast action yeast
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk
- 50ml water
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 50g unrefined golden caster sugar
- 400g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75g Just Natural Clean Lean Protein
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 80g mixed dried fruit
- 40g plain flour
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup, to glaze
- Place the milk and water in a pan and heat until just warm (not hot), pour into a jug, then add the yeast, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, flour, protein, mixed spice and salt. Stir to combine, then add the yeast mixture, melted butter and egg, bring together with a fork, using your hands to bring into a rough dough.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until soft and springy.
- Place back into the mixing bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Transfer to a flour dusted surface and knock the air out, then add the dried fruit and knead into the dough for a minute or so, until evenly distributed.
- Line a large baking tray or oven dish with parchment. Divide the dough into 12 even balls and space out onto the tray leaving a small gap between each. Cover with a damp tea towel to prove for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°c and mix the plain flour with 3 tbsp water until a thick paste forms, use a piping bag or spoon over the buns to form crosses.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly before brushing with a little honey or maple syrup.